1. Woke up this morning to the news that the Wandering Watters had reached their destination in the Tri-Cities, Washington, some time after midnight. I’m glad they didn’t wake me with an IM when they got there, although I did worry for about 15 seconds as I was dropping off to sleep.
2. Today is the 50th Anniversary of man’s walk on the moon. A friend of mine wrote this in her blog that she published today.
I think about the fragility of this planet. It seems to be fighting for its life. I weep at what we are doing to it. I read about the melting ice cap, the dying whales, the disappearing rain forest. I hear about those both in powerful places and observe those down the street who don’t believe humans bear any responsibility in the partnership with earth, that it is here to be exploited for our gain. I am heartbroken and furious.
I know exactly how she feels. I know I sometimes rant and rave about our harm to the environment. That comes from this place of loving the world more than I can say, and simultaneously being angry and fearful for the future.
As Michael Collins said, when asked about what he thought about as he was orbiting the moon, alone, 50 years ago:
The thing that really surprised me was that (the earth) projected an air of fragility. And why, I don’t know. I don’t know to this day. I had a feeling it’s tiny, it’s shiny, it’s beautiful, it’s home, and it’s fragile.
3. Trip to the Farmer’s Market this morning. Green beans, onions, potatoes, flowers, scones, and lemon bars. I made a tactical error yesterday when I bought the corn on the cob at the Commissary. They HAD fresh-pulled-this-morning corn.at the market.
4. I’m really trying with the exercise, and walking. I walked around the market this morning, took a pretty long walk around campus about noon, and spent 45 min. on the NuStep machine this afternoon. 11,000+ steps already today, and it’s not eve 5:00 pm.
5. I think we’ve finally turned the corner for summer. It was a high of 71 deg. today, but tomorrow is supposed to be 85 deg. WOW! 😎 The rest of the week is forecast to be solidly in the 70s.
How about you? What made you happy today?