1. My friend, Hugh Hollowell Jr. (if you want to get his newsletter every Monday, go here) was grieving the mass shootings, and said this:
I also need to remember that the best critique of the bad is the living out of the better, and that outrage, while appropriate, is by itself impotent. And the better world we dream of won’t come from hitting refresh on Facebook so we know we are not alone in our anger. No, that world will come about as the result of the countless small decisions we make in our daily life. We resist the world on offer by living into the creation of a new one.
We resist by living.
Also from Hugh’s newsletter today. Check this out.
2. Facebook nagged me into creating a Birthday Fundraiser. I’m raising money for The Ocean Cleanup. It’s dedicated to cleaning up all the junk plastic that is clogging our oceans, and getting into the food supply. We know it will NEVER break down. Anyway, on to the “happiness” part – I’m blown away by the number of people who have donated to this cause. I’m trying to thank you as I see your donations, but if I missed you, please know I’m very grateful. I originally set the goal at $100 (I figured maybe I’d have 100 people who could give $1 each). I reached that goal within an hour, and so I raised the goal to $300, it’s up to $201 in donations now. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all my readers and friends on Facebook whether you donated or not.
3. The Joe Pye Weed behind Lillian Pratt is blooming and it smells WONDERFUL! It’s a combination of sweet and spicy and I love it when it blooms in the heat of summer.
4. All my regular Monday things accomplished – clothes washed, dried, folded and hung up, and 10,000+ steps done and dusted.
5. Happy Hour with the Gazebo Group – welcoming four new members of our Duplex community.
How about you? What made you happy today?