1. The blustery, fall weather continued today, with scattered periods of clear sky, punctuated with squalls. It was 49 deg. when I got up, and it didn’t get above 53 deg. all day. The snow level in the mountains is down to 3000 feet, and we’re expecting overnight temps in the mid-30s.
2. Bible study this morning looked at Mark 4:35-41.
The preacher is starting Stewardship season, by asking us to step outside our comfort zones. We looked at the words “afraid” and “terrified”. She said that word in Greek appeared 6 times in Mark, and some of the other 5 times it was translated as “in awe”, and was in the context of Jesus predicting his own death. Jesus was asking the disciples to step out of their comfort zone and confront his power and his coming death.
3. We spent a lot of time at Bible study talking about how people face death, with stories of loved ones who have died and/or are dying. It was a good conversation, and really helpful to me, since my #1 son called this afternoon to tell me his brother-in-law was entering hospice after a 5-year battle with Multiple Myeloma. I think/hope I was able to reassure him and give him a couple of pointers about how to support his wife, and her family in this trying time.
4. I spent a couple of happy hours this afternoon making train, hotel, and rental car reservations for visiting #2 son and his family for Thanksgiving. I knew we would have to plan to go by train because the snow level in the passes is already down to 3000 feet. We’re taking the train to Portland and then to Pasco. Not too bad a trip, I hope.
5. Nice walk this afternoon around the campus, even though it was pretty cold. I was able to dodge the rain showers, and I enjoyed looking at the trees who are putting on their fall coats.
How about you? What made you happy today?