The whole world is a series of miracles, but we’re so used to them that we call them everyday things. – Hans Christian Anderson
1. Woke up this morning to find that the temperature was 20 deg. 😳 By noon it had gotten up to 34 deg. When we got back to the motel at 7:00 it was back down to 30 deg. promising to be in the high teens when we go to the train at 4:15 tomorrow morning.
2. Today was Papa’s Birthday. He would have been 108 years old. We used to always have a party for him around Thanksgiving, so that’s my best memory.
This was his birthday party in 2001.
3. I was still pretty full from all the feasting yesterday, so I opted for pho for lunch. I took Rae with me and we both got beef pho, but theirs was fancier. Big Al and Bill had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Erika and Kate braved the discount stores for craft stuff, and fed themselves while they were out.
Bill spent the day on and off trying to get the unworkable lights off of the 9-foot tree that was left in the garage when they bought the house. By mid afternoon he had decided to just string new lights on top of the old ones.
4. We had leftovers for dinner tonight. Kate warmed up the ham and the turkey in the oven, and then everybody put whatever sides they wanted on a plate and zapped it in the microwave. I had garlic and herb Brie with whole grain crackers, turkey thigh meat, ham, wild rice casserole, and pumpkin pie. It sounds like a lot but I was circumspect about the sizes of my portions, so I’m not as uncomfortable this evening as I was yesterday.
5. I’m finishing packing and I’m going to take my shower tonight because we have to get up and leave the motel between 4:15 and 4:30 to get to the train station in time to check our bags before leaving on the 5:35 train to Portland. I’m eternally grateful that Bill will be here to shepherd us to the station and return our rental car for us.
How about you? What made you happy today?