When we don’t have the big plans to look forward to, it’s time to focus on the small pleasures.
1. I read this piece on Medium that actually was in my inbox yesterday. It made me realized that part of my emotional problem (and, yes, I have to search for #5things sometimes) is that I no longer have the joy of anticipation. I enjoy scheduling Zoom meetings, and driveway-drive by Happy Hours, just for the anticipation it gives me to see it pop up on my calendar. This piece helps to put definition to the irregular unhappiness I’ve been feeling.
2. I fixed ham steak, corn on the cob, and asparagus for lunch today. I got the corn at the commissary and I have no idea where it came from because it’s waaaay too early for local corn. In any case it was delicious. I forget how good corn on the cob is between September and May. I also got the asparagus there, and it was obvious from the flavor that it was local! Wonderful.
3. I scurried to Starbucks and picked up a skinny mocha before 1:30. Hooray! they are going to be increasing their hours next week, and will be open until 5:00 My preferred time is 3:00 – it’s early enough that the caffeine doesn’t bother my sleep, and late enough that I’m not still full from lunch.
4. I got my “Month in Review” blog post written. Be sure to check it out.
5. Finally got over to the Wellness Center and used the NuStep for some exercise. Not enough, probably, but I got my 10,000 steps in. It’s been alternating sun and rain all day long and I didn’t want to commit to walking outside with the weather as iffy as it was.
How about you? What made you happy today?