I wish you great inner stillness which alone allows us to speak, even today, without irony, of “peace on earth” and, without despair, to work for it.
Br David Steindl-Rast
1. I had ordered an oximeter (oxygen meter that clips on your finger) from Amazon when they started saying that low oxygen levels were an early sign of the virus. First it wasn’t due until May 7th and then they said it would come April 26th. But it came at breakfast time today! Big Al’s oxygen level is at 88%, which is about where it usually is at the doctor’s office, and mine was at 99%, so I guess that’s something I don’t have to worry about for today.
2. It was pouring rain when I woke up this morning, but much warmer. It rained, hard, all morning long, but the temperature stayed in the mid 50s. I think the Pineapple Express arrived, although it’s a little early in the year for it. About lunch time, the sun came out full, even though the wind picked up, and the temperature went up to the low 60s. Unfortunately, all the pollen that washed out of the air in the rain was picked back up by the wind. Sniff, sniff, snort.
3. Lunch was leftover tortilla soup and a green salad. Big Al was pleased, and so was I. I did such a good job with my calories, I ran to Starbucks and got a vente skinny mocha and a blueberry scone. They are closing at 2:00 pm and everybody in town gets in line there at 1:30 to get their afternoon coffee. Hopefully, they’ll expand their afternoon hours after May 4 – the first day for potential relaxation of the governor’s orders to shelter in place.
4. After lunch, I took a quick tour around campus and enjoyed the sunshine. Then later in the afternoon, I did another longish walk and finished out my 10,000 steps for the day. The rhododendrons and the azaleas are spectacular right now.
5. There was somebody out flying a kite on the big lawn this afternoon. They were having a really hard time keeping in the air – not because there was too little wind, but because it was too blustery. Kites are really fun.
How about you? What made you happy today?