You do not need to know exactly what is happening, or precisely where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith, and hope.
1. When I tried to make my Safeway order yesterday, they “supposedly” didn’t have any quarts of 2% milk. Plenty of half-gallons and gallons – just no quarts. So I asked at Gazebo Group last night and one of the ladies who was going to go to “Senior Hour” this morning said she would get me a quart. Sure enough, about 9:15, she rang my doorbell with the milk. I couldn’t answer the door right away, because I had to unset the alarm, so she just left it between my screen door and front door. I finally got the alarm turned off and retrieved the milk just as she was driving away.
2. It’s a spectacularly beautiful day today – one of those days that the sky is blue, blue, blue, and the temperature is 64 deg, and there’s no wind. All the flowering bushes are either in bloom, or just getting ready to, or just finishing. This dogwood is by my driveway and it’s prettier this year than it’s been for several years.
3. In Bible Study, via Zoom, this morning we studied John 14:1-14. There’s lots of this passage that is problematic to me – firstly because of the gendered language. I prefer saying Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer for the three persons of the Trinity – here we have Father and Son pushed at us. I’m interested in what will happen in the sermon on Sunday.
4. Big Al decided that since today was Cinco de Mayo, I should trek down to Moctezumas and bring home lunch. He ordered it for me to pick up (curbside) at noon. I got there at 11:55 and the line waiting to pick up dinner (very little social distancing there) was winding around the parking lot – but I stayed in my car and called them on the phone and it only took about 15 minutes for them to bring it out to me. I had my Gourmet Parilla Bowl, and Big Al had Mango Chicken. Plenty of chips, salsa, and guacamole.
5. I took a nice long walk after lunch, including stopping by the garden and watering my seeds (still no sprouting). I have plenty more seeds, so if nothing sprouts by this time next week, I’ll just replant.
How about you? What made you happy today?