Out of every crisis, every tribulation, every disaster, mankind rises with some share of greater knowledge, of higher decency, of purer purpose.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1. The church is gathering items for the homeless shelter right now, and one of the things they wanted was plasticware, paper napkins, etc. So I packed up all the myriad of sets that have come home with takeout in the last couple of months. (We try to support our local restaurants by getting takeout a couple of times a week.) I also got some unsolicited socks from Save the Children or somebody trying to get me to donate, so I added them to the bag, and did a porch drop off.
2. Got Safeway groceries today. They had everything, and didn’t substitute anything. I think that’s the first time that’s happened.
3. Big Al and I had separate lunches today – he had leftovers from the Mexican feast yesterday, and I had my regular Tuesday egg salad sandwich (yeah, I know, it’s Wednesday, but the calendar slipped a day for Cinco de Mayo).
4. The sun was out all day today, even though we had been promised lots of rain. It was really windy, and in the mid-50s, so it felt pretty cold. I wore Big Al’s windbreaker when I walked this morning, but I got too warm. So this afternoon when I walked I just wore my shirt with a turtleneck under it, and it was verging on too cool. But I got all my steps in before 3:00 pm. I still enjoyed looking at the flowering bushes, including these bright red rhododendrons.
5. I made a box of Jiffy Blueberry Muffins before my afternoon walk. When I got back finally, I went to Starbucks and got a vente skinny mocha. Then I tested the muffins and I hereby pronounce them tasty and a fine substitute for a blueberry scone.
How about you? What made you happy today?