You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here.
1. Bright, blue “Seattle” sky this morning when I got up, with no clouds. That didn’t last long. The rest of the day has been cloudy with sunbreaks. Temperatures are mild, though.
2. The sermon this morning talked about Rizpah (2 Samuel 21:1-14) one of King David’s concubines. Two of her sons and 5 of her nephews were killed as a blood sacrifice for King Saul’s attacks on the Gibeonites. In her grief, and in protest, she went out to the field where their bodies lay, and stayed, refusing to come back to the harem until David buried them with honor. We protest in our grief. And sometimes it does some good.
3. Royal Thai Bistro takeout for lunch today. I had Singapore noodles, and Big Al had Sweet and Sour chicken. Good lunch.
4. I walked over to the garden and watered everything again today. I think it liked the fertilizer I gave it yesterday. The beans are still a little yellow, but the new leaves are greener.
5. Great visit with the Greisser Girls this afternoon. My sister in Arkansas is starting a study group in her church to educate herself and others about white privilege and the problems that black people have been experiencing for 400 years. They are starting to do the work themselves. They will each watch Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson that’s streaming for free on all the major platforms, and follow that with reading White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. Kudos to her and to her friends.
How about you? What made you happy today?