Earth’s crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
1. Great birthday today – Amazon gift cards from each of my sons, a Duncraft gift card from my sister, a plethora of birthday wishes on Facebook, and my concierge brought me a big bottle of margarita mixer, and two small packages of Dark Chocolate Milanos. I also got a FaceTime call from one of my sons who forgot about time zones and caught me just as I got out of the shower. Thank goodness I had a towel around me.
2. Do yourself a favor and listen to Heather Cox Richardson’s program on Facebook from yesterday, if nothing else, the last 5 minutes of the talk. She tells us three things that give her hope today. And she has given me hope as well. Those things are 1. Putin and Trump would not be doing the dysfunctional things they are doing if they thought he was going to win, otherwise. 2. Americans are involved in government in ways that they haven’t been in many years. 3. Americans care about having control over their own destinies.
3. Big Al and I had an excursion this morning. We drove down to the liquor store and I WENT INSIDE to buy Scotch and Tequila. Then we stopped by one of our favorite Japanese restaurants to pick up lunch. Al had chicken fried rice, and I had sushi – a spicy salmon roll and 6 assorted pieces.
4. I hope you follow The Corners with Nadia Bolz-Weber on Substack. Google it and see if you can see what her prayers look like right now. I’m with her.
5. Starbucks invited me to have a drink on them, so I’m off to collect it, and maybe get a blueberry scone to substitute as my birthday cake.
How about you? What made you happy today?