Our minds are way more powerful than we tend to give them credit for, and they can make dramatic changes to the trajectory of our lives even if we just change our thoughts on the margins.
1. We have central Air Conditioning. That may not seem like anything to be happy about – everybody has it, don’t they? Not here in Washington. Today we got into the mid-90s for the first time this summer. Until now, our high temperature has been 86 one day, and 84 another, and our overnight lows are mid-50s to low 60s. I can stand hotter daytime temps if it’s cool at night.
2. The sermon today was from Jeremiah 29. The preacher said we don’t have to leave where we are to find ourselves in a different land. Our different land could be grief, or depression, or isolation of the pandemic, or divorce. Jeremiah reminds us to pray for the people we are with, and for the place where we find ourselves. Because God knows the plans for us, and they come from a place of love.
3. I ran a load of laundry, and got it dried and folded, because I have my annual physical tomorrow at 9:00 am. I’m turning into such an old curmudgeon about my little schedules.
4. I went to Boathouse 19 for takeout lunch today. I got Dungeness crab and shrimp Louie. I also treated myself to an Oreo chocolate milk shake. Big Al got a big old, slimy old, juicy old bacon cheeseburger.
5. There are Abelia bushes growing next to my porch. They have most fragrant flowers – I think it’s a relative of the honeysuckle. They create a visual screen as well as smelling like my grandmother’s yard. Time spent on the porch in the rocking chair is a balm to my soul.
How about you? What made you happy today?