Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.
WARNING: Pollyanna had a hard time finding things to be happy about.
1. Today is 9/11. How well I remember this day 19 years ago. I can’t think of anything about that day that makes me happy now – people dead, two wars, places of beauty and countries who used to be our friends gone. The only thing to be happy about was the way the country came together for a short while – for a couple of months we were one country – no longer divided.
2. I confess I must have jinxed us saying that it seemed to be clearing yesterday. It’s really awful out there right now with the smoke in the air. The temperatures have been good – 55 this morning and 72 this afternoon, but I’ve got all the windows in the house closed. This was at 3:00 in the afternoon. That’s not fog – it’s smoke. I guess the thing to be happy about is the lower temperatures.
3. I didn’t realize how awful it was this morning so I took a walk around the campus. I was choking when I got back after 1/2 an hour in that stuff. I’m pleased that I can go to the Wellness Center to finish my exercise indoors.
4. We had ham, sweet potatoes, and fresh green beans for lunch. I’m afraid this was the last of the fresh beans for the summer. Glad we got to enjoy them one last time.
5. The Driveway Happy Hour and the Ice Cream Delivery that was scheduled for this afternoon didn’t happen. The powers that be decided it was dangerous for us to be outdoors in this thick air. I was counting on having a margarita and enjoying some time in the sun with my next door neighbors, but I’m happy the administration is looking out for us.
How about you? What made you happy today?