Out of every crisis, every tribulation, every disaster, mankind rises with some share of greater knowledge, of higher decency, of purer purpose.Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1. It was in the mid 50s and cloudy when I woke up. It warmed up through the morning and early afternoon into the high 60s, and, just as forecast, it started to rain at 2:00, and dropped back into the 50s.
2. I forgot to read Paul Krugman’s column in the New York Times on Tuesday, and he’s already posted his column that’s dated tomorrow, so I got to “Wonk out” twice today.
3. We had pork chops, cinnamon applesauce, corn on the cob and I had black-eyed peas and Big Al had cauliflower.
4. HCR talked about the Chinese Exclusion Act from the 1880s in her history chat today. Unfortunately, she neglected to mention the episode that took place in Tacoma, when the city fathers rounded up all the Chinese in town, loaded them on flatbed rail cars, and shipped them off to Portland in a driving rainstorm. NOT something I’m proud of, but something I knew nothing about until we moved here.
5. Thoroughly enjoyed an interview with NPR’s Scott Horsley presented by my local NPR station that I was invited to as a sustaining member. The perks of giving!
How about you? What made you happy today?