My Star Word for this year is “Affirmation”. The internet says an affirmation is a positive statement of agreement.
I am a child of God, holy and beloved.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Here are my intentions for 2021.
(After the dumpster fire of 2020, you’ll notice I’ve pared down my intentions for 2021, and I intend to hold them loosely.)
- Eat real food. – Check
- Eat more vegetables – Asparagus, fresh tomatoes, yellow squash and corn on the cob are “first choice” in my menu rotation. I hope to start adding green beans, and lettuce salads as the month progresses.
- Be sure to get 25 grams of fiber every day – Check
- The itch that plagued me a couple of years ago came back, but I got to the doctor and got a prescription for the anti-fungal that worked in the past.
- I return to the dermatologist for a check on my face later in the month.
- Big Al and I got our second Pfizer shots on February 13th, so we’ve been fully vaccinated since the first of March!
- Al’s and my Primary Care Physician is moving to a specialty. We’re sorry to see him go. We have an intake scheduled with a new doctor later this month.
- Remember that I am a child of God, holy and beloved.
- If I can say it for me, I must grant it to every other person on the planet, whether lovable or not.
- Continue to post “Five Things that Made Me Happy Today” every day on my blog – Check
- Expand my leisure reading.
- Major Pettigrew ‘s Last Stand by Helen Simonson – finished
- Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie – finished
- The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie – finished
- The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie – finished
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry – finished
- A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George – finished
- How to Avoid a Climate Disaster by Bill Gates – finished
- Stargazer by Anne Hillerman – finished
- Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg – finished
- Beneath a Scarlett Sky by Mark Sullivan – reading
- Keep up with the national news daily without obsessing over it.
- Listen to NPR – Check
- Watch Rachel Maddow – Check
- Follow Heather Cox Richardson for perspective – Check
- Participate in Creative Writing classes here at Franke Tobey Jones – I quit the class on the Personal Essay. The teacher seemed to think we were all 18 years old.
- I subscribe to the New York Times and try to work the crossword puzzle and read several columns regularly, including the cooking column.
- I subscribe to the Seattle Times and read several of their newsletters.
- I subscribe to the Washington Post. and read several of their newsletters, including Travel, Fitness, and Cooking.
- Support aspiring writers via Patreon and Substack – Check
- Participate in Great Decisions here at Franke Tobey Jones – I facilitated the session on the Arctic. There wasn’t much to talk about because the materials were written a year ago and were very general.
- I subscribed to MasterClass. I finished the course on thinking scientifically from Neil deGrasse Tyson. I’m now working through a course from Doris Kearns Goodwin about Presidential Leadership.
- Continue to participate in weekly Bible study, and weekly Worship – Check
- Continue with General Assembly Nominating Committee – No meetings yet
- Tend the relationships I have at Franke Tobey Jones
- Wellness Center – Gradually opening up, but no personal training yet. We are allowed to use the facilities WITHOUT masks if we are fully vaccinated.
- Gazebo Group – We managed one in-person meeting at the Gazebo before the weather turned cold and rainy again. I have great hopes for good weather from here on out.
- Tend the relationships I have at Bethany Presbyterian Church Bible Study – Check
- Continue to connect regularly with family, virtually – Check
- Participate in Town Halls and face-to-face meetings with elected officials – Not much on this front (not too much need, either.) I follow my representatives on Social Media and send messages about things that matter to me.
- Support the Southern Poverty Law Center, the American Civil Liberties Union, and MoveOn – Check
- Support the election of officials who are champions for Social Justice issues – Check
- Climate action
- Racial justice
- Health Care Availability
- Wealth Inequality