Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.Calvin Coolidge
1. It was in the upper 30s with light rain first thing this morning. The rain started in earnest about noon, and it never got much above 39 deg all day.
2. I had my annual eye exam today. I’ve had this appointment for three+ months, but when I got here they couldn’t find any record of it. They worked me in, but all my rushing around this morning was for naught. If there are typos in this blog, blame it on my eyes being dialated.
3. I’ve been noticing that I’ve had trouble driving at night because the lights of cars coming towards me effectively blinded me. So I gave up and scheduled an appointment to get my cataracts removed towards the end of February.
4. We stopped on the way home from the optometrist’s office and picked up Pho for me. Big Al preferred to fix ramen noodles for himself for lunch.
5. While I worked out at the Wellness Center, I listened to HCR’s interview with Rebecca Solnit (because I didn’t have to see anything). Rebecca has just published Orwell’s Roses and they were talking about the book. There were lots of interesting points, but what stood out to me was how different Orwell was from his novel 1984. The interview is worth a listen (on HCR’s Facebook page).
How about you? What made you happy today?