My Star Word for this year is “Affirmation”. The internet says an affirmation is a positive statement of agreement.
I am a child of God, holy and beloved.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
These were my intentions for 2021.
- Eat real food. – Check
- Eat more vegetables – I keep boxes of cauliflower and broccoli in the refrigerator to fix for dinner or to snack on raw. New potatoes are usually unavailable and I’ve started getting Yukon Golds instead. Brussels sprouts are good. I keep sweet onions, peppers, celery, and sweet potatoes on hand.
- We have “soup of the week” on Wednesdays, particularly since the weather has turned colder.
- Be sure to get 25 grams of fiber every day – Check
- Big Al and I are triple vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine. I’m still minimizing being around people, so I do grocery pickup instead of going inside the store.
- All my family is vaccinated!
- Remember that I am a child of God, holy and beloved.
- If I can say it for me, I must grant it to every other person on the planet, whether lovable or not.
- I was very faithful in posting my “Five Things that Made Me Happy Today”.
- Expand my leisure reading.
- Major Pettigrew ‘s Last Stand by Helen Simonson – finished
- Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie – finished
- The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie – finished
- The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie – finished
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry – finished
- A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George – finished
- How to Avoid a Climate Disaster by Bill Gates – finished
- Stargazer by Anne Hillerman – finished
- Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg – finished
- Beneath a Scarlett Sky by Mark Sullivan – finished
- The House on Vesper Sands – Paraic O’Donnell – finished
- Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven – Fanny Flagg – finished
- Payment in Blood – Elizabeth George – finished
- Well-Schooled in Murder – Elizebeth George – finished
- A Suitable Vengeance – Elizabeth George – finished
- For the Sake of Elena – Elizabeth George – finished
- Missing Joseph – Elizabeth George – finished
- Playing for the Ashes – Elizabeth George – finished
- Better Off Dead – Lee Child and Andrew Child – abandoned
- In the Presence of the Enemy – Elizabeth George – reading
- I’m trying to keep up with the news without obsessing over it.
- Listen to NPR – Check
- Watch Rachel Maddow – Check
- Follow Heather Cox Richardson for perspective – Check
- I subscribe to the New York Times and try to work the crossword puzzle and read several columns regularly, including the cooking column.
- I subscribe to the Seattle Times and read several of their newsletters.
- I subscribe to the Washington Post. and read several of their newsletters, including Travel, Fitness, and Cooking.
- Support aspiring writers via Patreon and Substack – Check
- Participate in Great Decisions here at Franke Tobey Jones – Finished for the year.
- I subscribed to MasterClass. I’m following Cornell West teaching Philosophy.
- Continue to participate in weekly Bible study, and weekly Worship – Bible Study is on Zoom and I’m attending regularly.
- Worship is available on YouTube Live, and I’m regular in attendance from my living room.
- Continue with General Assembly Nominating Committee – No meetings were scheduled.
- Tend the relationships I have at Franke Tobey Jones
- Wellness Center – My personal trainer is on maternity leave. I’m trying to soldier on alone.
- Gazebo Group – We are doing ZOOM once a month, and meeting in person the rest of the time in the Wellness Center. It’s not ideal, but it seems to be the best we can hope for.
- Tend the relationships I have at Bethany Presbyterian Church Bible Study – Check
- Continue to connect regularly with the sisters, virtually – Our weekly Zoom chats are one of the things that keep me sane.
- Participate in Town Halls and face-to-face meetings with elected officials. I follow my local, state, and federal representatives on Social Media and send messages about things that matter to me.
- It never occurred to me that I would need to lobby the Congress to pass laws to make it easier/possible to vote, but here we are. I’ve gotten complacent living in Washington where we have easy registration, vote by mail, and non-partisan independent commissions to redraw voting districts after a census. I was pleased to see that the President has appointed our REPUBLICAN Secretary of State (who is in charge of elections in Washington State) to a similar post at the national level.
- I have regular contributions to the DNC and my US Representative. I also contribute to reps in other states if they seem particularly outstanding.
- Support the Southern Poverty Law Center, the American Civil Liberties Union, and MoveOn – Check
- Support the election of officials who are champions for Social Justice issues – Check
- Climate action
- Racial justice
- Health Care Availability
- Wealth Inequality