I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they’re feeling because that’s how I read the seed catalogs in February.Barbara Kingsolver
1. It was 31 deg with a beautiful sunrise when I got up. The temperature got up to 47 deg. this morning, but the rains returned around noon and it dropped back to 40 deg. It’s not supposed to get much cooler than that overnight.
2. I THINK spring is coming. You couldn’t tell it by the temperature, but the sun is getting up earlier, and going to bed later. There’s a green haze around the trees. The robins are back. There’s always at least one set of squirrels chasing each other across the yard and through the branches of the trees.
3. The sink is definitely in, but there was still a problem with a leaky pipe. The maintenance guys came over last night and put a pan under the leak and this morning a plumber came and “fixed” it. Time will tell whether what he did worked.
4. Because the water was turned off, we decided to switch our lunch plans – eat tomorrow’s lunch today, and eat today’s lunch tomorrow. We went to Boathouse 19 for lunch. I had batter fried cod, with coleslaw and polenta, and Big Al had a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Very tasty.
5. We didn’t get a chance to talk to the plumber because we were at lunch when he left. I trust everything is okay. I’m going to run the dishwasher and see whether there’s water all over the floor when it quits. (How’s that for living dangerously.)
How about you? What made you happy today?