My Star Word for this year is REJOICING.
I’ve been struggling with setting some intentions this year. After my heart attack on December 21, 2022, I realized that I really don’t know what I want for this year, or even for the rest of my life. At age 78-and-a-half, I could have another 20 years left, or I could easily not even have another year.
I’m tired of the pandemic, I’m tired of politics, I’m tired of pushing myself to DO SOMETHING. I’m ready to just let life happen and observe for a while. I’ll keep on writing my “5 Things”, and I’ll stick with my regular groups and activities, but I’m ready to find out why I’m REJOICING. Maybe I’ll try just REJOICING about my regular, ordinary life.
Therefore, I’m leaving the same general categories that I had last year, and I’ll use them as a wish list and fill in markers for a “diary” of events and activities.
Health and Fitness
- Recovery – I’m feeling fine after my heart attack.
- I had a blood test in late February and my cholesterol numbers were exactly where they should have been all along.
- I have an appointment with Cardiac Rehab early in March.
- I continue to work with my personal trainer on balance and strength.
- I try to spend 55-60 minutes a day, five to six days a week on the NuStep.
- Diet – I’m trying to be much more proactive about the kinds of things I eat.
- The dietitian who counseled me, said the same things the dietitian said when I lost the 70 lbs back in 2014. It was good to have a reminder.
- Three fruits and two vegetables every day – limit red meat – eat more fish
- I was keeping steady on the .9 lbs a month loss from last year until the latter half of this month. I slipped a little with all the brouhaha of moving to temporary housing, etc.
- It’s still an average of .8 lbs a month since May of 2022.
Friends and Community
- Gazebo Group – We meet regularly once a week
- Greisser Girls Gab – This is sacrosanct time for me
- Other Residents at Franke Tobey Jones
- Lunch with Jett Brooks
- There’s a new resident in the Duplexes that I haven’t met yet
Learning and Knowledge
- Great Decisions
- January – we met and got out assignments for leading the discussions
- February – Energy Security – There wasn’t much I didn’t know already, but it was nice to have a conversation about it.
- Creative Writing Classes – None scheduled so far
Travel and Culture
- Visit Harriet (upstate New York) and/or Betty (Texarkana)
- Visit Kennewick and Bill’s Family
- Visit Chicago and Ray’s Family
- Visit Victoria, Canada
Hobbies and Creativity
- This Body of Death by Elizabeth George – finished
- Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver – reading
- I am still writing, but more sporadically.
- Blogging – 5 Things that Made Me Happy Today continues daily
- Bible Study – I attend regularly on Tuesday mornings – We are in Lent
- Bethany Presbyterian Church – I attend via You-Tube every Sunday
- PCUSA Nominating Committee – No meetings scheduled
Money and Finances
- Quit obsessing
- I finished the 2022 taxes and sent the return off in early February
- I planned very well last year, and owed $3.00 that will be deducted from my bank account on April 18.
- Keep Al informed – I try to let Al know where we stand.
- Al may be eligible for the PACT Act. If so, it will increase his VA check to up to 100% disability.
Pingback: Five things that made me happy today – 2/28/23 | An Aging Liberal Hippy from the Left Coast
Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate you.
You sound very focused on what you want to do and what you are doing. More people should be like that rather than just drifting. I have a neighbor who just drifts and gets no where with her life, yet she is so dissatisfied. She’s been our neighbor for 20 years and still is pretty much stuck where she was when she moved in.
I have dropped off the preschool board due to disagreeing with how the rest of the board wants to continue. Since I am the only dissenter, I think it best if I stepped away and let them have at it. Also, it’s just too much work to sort of start all over. My energies aren’t there for that, and I wonder if that’s how you are feeling…put the energy you have into things for which you are passionate.