1. Cloudy early this morning but it was beginning to clear by the time we finished breakfast.
2. About 10:00 we headed out to walk through the Empress. We looked at all the fancy decor, and stopped in one of the gift shops to look around. Betty found some kitchen magnets, and I got some cute little “fishermen” who hold the strings of teabags to keep them from slipping into the cup.
3. Next we walked across the road and booked a Gorge Tour. We only had to wait about 15 minutes before the boat left. That tour, as always, was one of the highlights of the trip.
4. On our way back to the hotel, we stopped at a liquor store and got a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. We each had a small glass and mellowed out for several hours, reading and just talking. We decided it was really nice to be with a relative who understood all your little catch phrases without having to explain.
5. We went to Pendary House for afternoon tea. I had black chai, and Betty had green hibiscus iced tea. We had a tiny cup of cucumber-melon mint gazpacho. Followed by cucumber sandwiches, smoked salmon pinwheels with flying fish roe, chicken salad with pineapple on marble rye, and frittata with tomato salsa. Then we had blueberry scones and Earl Grey scones with Devonshire cream and housemade berry compote.
When we got to the dessert course, we were both too full, so we brought the apple fritter, the carrot cake, the chocolate petit four, and the macaroons back to the room to eat later with the rest of the bottle of wine. We’ll sleep well tonight.
How about you? What made you happy today?